Slide 4

Slide 4

Slide 3

Slide 3

First slide

First slide

Second image

Second image

Sunday, February 5, 2017

"Here Comes the Fat Chick"



That's the look I get when entering the gate area at any given airport.

Ugh. The eyerolls. The looks of disdain.

There should be a giant red sticky note on my airline ticket: "TWF"

Traveling While Fat

Cue the horror movie music.
I'll venture anywhere for a quick swim in a blue ocean, but I can't get there without experiencing some form of prejudice based on my size. And so my vacation quests are typically stunted by the thought of people judging the way I look in a bathing suit.

Or in an airplane seat.

Or in baggage claim.

It's why I mentally check off where all the seat pockets are in relation to what I'll be using in-flight, like my Kindle Fire and water bottle. Whatever it takes to avoid disturbing my neighbor further. 

It's also the reason I use the airport restrooms several times before a flight, even if I don't have to go. And if I get the urge during the flight, I hold it...no matter how long the duration.

And so Spirit Airlines is probably the best bet for those of us who are larger in size. Sure, the flight attendants sleep for the entire flight, and the term "customer service" gets the same treatment as the term "terrorism", but the giant seats in the front row are sure to accommodate anyone my size. 

Today, I watched two flight attendants play Russian roulette with the emotions of a large man who sat next to me. I'm still not clear on why he didn't "fit"in the seat...he looked fine to me...but sometimes the seatbelts are less than generous. Whatever the reason, the attendants loudly proclaimed that he would have to sit in two seats in a row further back. This misplaced the two original seat holders, and their grumbles and shuffling to their new seats caused even more commotion and attention. 

And if you wear any size below a woman's size 18, you have no idea what I'm talking about and can't relate.

And that's okay. Because I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone.

Except maybe my ex. But he deserves it.

What I Bought
Spare yourself a bit of humiliation: Airline Seatbelt Extenders


No comments :